Sunday, February 19, 2012

Scale of values


To follow the thread of the question- Are there other portals to one’s life?-I will answer- Other writers other than philosophers? Tolstoy,Goethe, and Dostoyevsky are often quoted authors. I will not mention the 4 evangelists.
I’m still not finished with  David Copperfield and have read 519 pages  only of its 716 pages. I found Charles Dickens inspiring when I read “My whole manner of thinking of our late misfortune was changed. What I had to do, was, to show my aunt that her past goodness to me had not been thrown away on an insensible, ungrateful object. What I had to do, was, to turn the painful discipline of my younger days to account, by going to work with a resolute and steady heart. What I had to do, was, to take my woodman's axe in my hand, and clear my own way through the forest of difficulty, by cutting down the trees until I came to Dora. And I went on at a mighty rate, as if it could be done by walking.
When I found myself on the familiar Highgate road, pursuing such a different errand from that old one of pleasure, with which it was associated, it seemed as if a complete change had come on my whole life. But that did not discourage me. With the new life, came new purpose, new intention. Great was the labour; priceless the reward. Dora was the reward, and Dora must be won.” (The italics are mine.)
How does one value, put on the scale, the writer and what was written?

No comments: