Friday, June 29, 2012

the Locks, a bridge, and a book.


Saturday snapshot
To participate in the Saturday Snapshot meme post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken then leave a direct link to your post in the Mister Linky: http://athomewithbooks.net/. Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give in the caption is entirely up to you. Please don’t post random photos that you find online.

While in Buffalo, N.Y. to attend my wife’s niece’s high school graduation we did a side trip to Lockport  and toured the Lockport Cave and experienced the underground boat ride.  We rode also the Erie Canal cruise boat and saw how the Erie Canal Locks work, a miniature Panama Canal. From the locks our cruise boat went further downstream and passed under a bridge that was raised vertically instead of breaking and dividing in half.

                        The bridge farther back is just above the water before our boat approached it.
Now the bridge was raised.

On this trip I finished reading an interesting book, A Novel Bookstore, by Laurence Cossé, written in French originally. The story is about good novels and about a bookstore named The Good Novel. It’s a love story and a little bit of a mystery.
Today I started reading a non-fiction book, the demon and the angel, Searching for the Source of Artistic Inspiration by Edward Hirsch.

13 comments:

Cathy said...

I'm going to have to track down a copy of A Novel Bookstore. You've intrigued me!

Christine Harding said...

Wow, I've never seen a bridge that does that before! What was the underground boat ride like? I visited Bakc to Backs, houses built for poor people 200 years ago and took some Snapshot pictures http://goo.gl/l9bDi

Eugenia O'Neal said...

Interesting pictures. The only underground cave I've been in was in Barbados - Harrison's Cave - where they take you through on a trolley.
demons and angels sounds interesting - to listen to either can bring on insanity or mental illness which are also linked to creativity.

Jill Buck said...

Sounds like an interesting tour. It is always so much fun to go somewhere new.

Jill Buck said...

It is always so much fun to go somewhere new to explore.

Staci said...

That is very cool with the bridge being raised!! The book sounds good. I always enjoy reading about people and books!

bermudaonion said...

I bet seeing how those locks work was fascinating!

edgar said...

The underground cave is man made. It was originally used to transport huge amount of water to run the turbines for the factory. To reach the cave is a good climb and the tour inside is a good walk.

Kailana said...

That's very cool! Glad you liked A Novel Bookstore. I have it on my list to read one day.

Alyce said...

That's cool! I know I've seen bridges like that somewhere before, but if you asked me which bridge I'd be at a loss. The few in my hometown that raised were the split in the middle kind.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Well, now I'm off to find A Novel Bookstore.

Lovely photos! I've never seen a bridge like that.

Here's my
Saturday Snapshot.
I hope you will stop by!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Wonderful photos, and I loved the story along with them.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Sim Carter said...

That picture by the sea is outstanding. And I too will have to track down A Novel Bookstore. sounds like something I would love.