Friday, January 20, 2012

My English teacher


“...the habitual vision of greatness”
the first step, the first stair
from the rudiments to mastery, find the road that will make all the difference
I heard about the travel of St. Ignatius of Loyola to Montserrat. The pilgrims' walk of the Santiago de Compostela. The climb to the summit of Mt. Fuji. The toil for the first novel, first poem.
I remember my English teacher who inspired me to study English literature-
”if winter comes can spring be far behind..”
“She walks in beauty like the night
of cloudless climes and starry skies...”
“She was a phantom of delight
when first she gleamed upon my sight…”

We read and recited the poems and attempted to write our own first poems.
My English teacher was my guiding light. She stirred me to gather my bow and arrows, enter the forest and listen for the waterfalls. She was so delicate. When her husband, her muse, died suddenly, she mourned deeply. My classmates and I walked with her to the cemetery everyday where she placed a fresh rose on his grave.
I will try each day to find a vision. I will try to find the simplest way and make it new.

No comments: