Monday, November 21, 2011

Great Expectations

It's cold up here in the mountains. The grandkids trampled on the light snow on the deck. There is new forecast of snow on Wednesday.

I'm reading and enjoying Dickens's Great Expectations. On page 39: Joe addressing the convict-"We don't know what you have done, but we wouldn't have you starved to death for it, poor miserable fellow-creature." On page 62: "My sister's bringing up had made me sensitive.In the little world in which children have their existence, whosoever brings them up,there is nothing so finely perceived and so finely felt as injustice." I didn't realize how funny Dickens could be and his keen eye for moral subtleties.

I'm sorry I' am clinging to the fall colors.

1 comment:

About Last Weekend said...

I can see the leaves are starting to turn. Must get back into a good classic, just read loads of F Scott Fitzgerald and his contemps but Dickens really knows how to spin a yarn.