Thursday, January 27, 2011

Living in a small village

I was very lucky to grow up in a small village in southern part of Luzon, in the Philippines.
The village was less than a mile form the ocean and a few 100 yards from the river. During my teen years, we (group of friends or young kids), swam in the river often.There were lots of cherry trees along the river and we loved picking the fruits that fell on the banks.

On certain nights when the moon was full we carried an empty kerosene drum to the ocean and picked small crabs and put them in the drum. When we came home my mother will boil those tiny crabs and we ate them as evening snacks before bedtime.

The forest was also nearby. We built forts and built tree houses and spent afternoon playing house or simply taking naps there.

Being near the ocean we could buy fresh fish from the fishermen when they came ashore from fishing from the night before. Until now I love eating fish, shrimps, crabs and lobsters. And of course squid and snails (escargots).


I love eating leafy vegetables, which were plenty, since I was little and still do until now.

I would not know what eating habits or experiences I would have had

if I was born and lived in a city.

No comments: