Friday, October 31, 2008

Psalm 23


I attended a funeral mass of a 17 year-old girl who died from a car accident 4 days ago. The mass and the eulogy of the girl's parents and friends were solemn though with some laughter were still filled with grief.
The priest recited psalm 23 and told the congregation that the passages may help everyone in experiencing the grief. One has to remember the good times: " He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: leadeth me beside the still waters..."

It will not answer the question why, he said,but may tell us what the psalmist experienced in the dark valley that may help us in our valley of sorrow. " ...though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil: for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me... thy annointest my head with oil... surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever."

We are not forsaken. The Lord will comfort us.

No comments: