Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Happy Birthday


I celebrated my 70th birthday 2 days ago hiking a hilly park for more than 2 hours with my whole family.

AS THE SALMON ENTERS THE UPSTREAM CURRENTS(2)

Memory of affection, encounters
Of wonders and gratitude
My grandfather, by primitive route,
They returned

We searched our way in knots
And riddles, chased each other,
Laughing, in widening circles, never
Tiring of play or exhaustion.

My grandfather would take me
To the river, fly-cast my mind inside
A fish, pointed shadows and ripples,
Where to wade and wait.

The allure was not the catch
But how to still the heart
When the line trembled
When the river was silent.

We would wait for the tide
To come to our feet, walking
The text of my future,
Written and erased.

Between roars of the surf
He challenged my thinking,
On the least visited,
What I cared for.

“Blindness is not a sorrow and desire”.
A fisherman once taught a path
through the wilderness
Only a heart could see.

the salmon
in still waters
my grandfather

No comments: